Saturday, August 31, 2013

When Good Trips Go Bad

If you travel enough, you know (really, you expect) that every once in a while, a trip is going to go horribly wrong.  There are too many moving parts, too many uncontrollable variables in play, for every trip to go off without a hitch.  Let me tell ya about our journey to the Rockies yesterday...

First, I have the world's best boss.  I need to buy her that coffee mug... So when you get invited to her destination wedding, you go.  Yesterday sucked because basically, we left our house at 10:45am and arrived at our hotel in Copper, Colorado  twelve hours later.  To give you some perspective, the drive takes thirteen hours.  We flew into Denver International Airport (arriving on time), which is a very nice airport, but logistically, it's a beating getting from terminal C to ground transportation.  The rental car lots are all located off-site, so by the time your shuttle picks you up it's a fifteen minute ride to get there.  And on Friday afternoon (4:00pm to be precise) of a holiday weekend, you're gonna stand in a long line to get your car.  By the time we got ours it was close to 5:00pm and traffic was bad, to say the least.  Over four hours later, we completed the 100-mile trip to Copper.
At least the view (beyond the miles of cars) was nice!  The company wasn't bad either.  :)  I practiced taking selfies to pass the time, which I regretted this morning when my camera died.  And of course I didn't pack the charger.  Since our house is a wreck, I wouldn't have been able to find it if I tried.  (I apologize in advance for the crappy cell phone pictures I'm going to post later this week.)  Here's what ya get for now...


The plan was to get in around 7:00pm and show up fashionably late to the Oktoberfest-themed rehearsal dinner at a mountain mansion.  I even packed costumes for us (lederhosen, of course) and planned to dominate the costume contest.  But alas, it was all for not.  When we arrived at Copper Mountain Village it was dark, rainy, and probably forty degrees.  We got our room keys, parked the car, and dragged our bags to the building.  Elevation here is close to 8,000 feet and I'm still out of breath!  When we opened the door to our room, my bf went in first (great manners, right?).  I stopped and watched him stand there in the almost pitch-black room with his jaw hanging open.  I thought he was looking at a body!  Finally he said, "Ummmm.... are we sharing a room with someone?"  It was one of those rooms that has a door to the room next door.  No big deal, right?  Well, the door was open and there was someone else's stuff strewn about (even a purple Caboodle in the bathroom- I didn't know people still used those things).

We quickly exited the room and sat down on the floor in the hall and called the front desk (it's in another building and we did not feel like trekking through the rain to yell at them in person when we could get it done over the phone).  Obviously there was a mix-up... and the front desk guy said they could give us a different room.  He said he'd take care of it and call me when the room was ready.  In the meantime, the bf and I decided we needed food and drank stat.  There was a crappy-looking Mexican restaurant next door, so we dragged our bags inside and ordered margs.  That was the highlight of our trip thus far.

Our meal was done but we still hadn't received the call about our new room.  I called the front desk and they sent over a bell guy with our new room keys.  And no, we didn't tip him.  And no, they didn't upgrade our room.  By the time we got in, it was after 10:00pm (11:00pm our time) and the altitude and tequila had gone to my head.  According to the pics I saw on Facebook, the party we missed was a blast.
 I woke up this morning feeling defeated and hung over.  Apparently one drink will do that to me at 8,000 feet!  Overpriced resort-style breakfast and coffee and Ibuprofen has made it better.  Not to mention the sun is shining and the scenery is beautiful.  And celebrating the marriage of one of my favorite couples in a few hours against the breathtaking (literally) Rockies should cure all that ails.  If I see you there, just don't tell me how awesome the party was last night.

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment