Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Lovely Lima

One of the many things I love Dallas is its diversity.  On a daily basis I am surrounded by immigrants from other countries.  One of my besties has a delightful new beau, who is straight up Peruvian (he became naturalized about five years ago).  He recently returned from a visit to Lima, his hometown, and I loved seeing pictures from his trip.  About three years ago on a whim, I visited Lima with some co-workers and after chatting with him I felt inspired to go through my photos.  His family lives in the beautiful neighborhood of Mira Flores, which is where I stayed during my visit...

We saw amazing old architecture downtown...

We tried the local food...

Visited some ruins...

And went to the beach!

Quick story about the beach.  As we walked towards the water I noticed that the waves were not coming in perpendicular to the shore, but rather they were coming in from both sides of the ocean and crisscrossing on the shoreline, creating 90 degree angles.  When we got in the water I thought the current was unusually strong.  The picture above was taken moments before I realized we were in rip current country.  As I began to tell my girlfriends we should to head towards dry land, I turned my head and they were gone.  In seconds they had been swept away, far from where we had been standing.  I knew I needed to get help so I started for the shore, then I heard a whistle blow and two lifeguards passed me as I made my way onto the sand.  They were going to rescue my friends.  Man, it was scary, and I learned even shallow waters can be dangerous.  I'm so grateful for the Peruvian lifeguards who saved my friends!

Now, so I don't end this post like a Debbie Downer, here's a super cute little girl I met who sold me a luxurious alpaca rug.  I think she has a future in the fabled Nordstrom shoe department if she ever wants to make a living in Dallas.  Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment