Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Working from Home

Two years and one month ago, I landed a sales job that requires me to work from home in my territory (Texas, excluding Houston).  The timing was perfect, as I had been "nomadic" until April of 2011, so I had a few months to settle into my place (at the time it was an enclosed porch of my friend's apartment) before I moved out of my cube.  It's funny to think that I spent over four years in this environment!  When this picture was taken I think I was on the brink of scurvy due to lack of sunlight.

When I interviewed for my current position, moving to a home office was the part that intimidated me the most.  Most of my co-workers also work virtually, so I've asked many of them how they do it.  Everyone's challenges and motivators are truly unique.  I don't think there is one formula that would help everyone adjust to this type of work environment.  In case any of you are like me (I'm ENFP according to the Myers & Briggs personality test), here are some best practices that have helped me be successful and not go crazy being alone most of the time (E stands for extrovert).
Stay organized.  I work from my bed, my couch, my kitchen counter (when I want to stand), coffee shops, airports, hotels, and a vacant cube in my old office.  I have a lap top, cell phone, and a folder, notebook, and a pen.  As long as I have an internet connection, I can work anywhere.  I have to be very streamlined to be this mobile.  I can't be weighed down by stacks of papers, so I scan and save things I need to my laptop.  I try to process papers as quickly as possible.

Stay motivated.  However you can.  I like to make lists and prioritize things I need to do in order.  I love the feeling of crossing something off a list.  Just like in an office, there are days that I don't feel very motivated.  Other days I work through the evening.  The beauty of working from home is that you can be more flexible on when you work and for how long.  I'm expected to put in at least 40 hours of work a week, and now that I've been in the job for two years I'm able to that.  I enjoy being autonomous and making my own schedule and working at my peak times of motivation.

Stay focused.  This could be a sub-category under "stay motivated".  It's easy to get distracted at home.  Sometimes doing laundry seems more fun than responding to an RFP.  I make small goals for myself, like working two solid hours with no breaks (no Facebook!).  If I finish work at 4pm, I can call it a day, so that is great motivation to work hard!

Have something to do that will get you out of the house and around people.  I need this.  Not everyone does.  I miss the interactions with my co-workers now that I'm not around them every day.  Going to a coffee shop to work is nice.  Going to the grocery store is suprisingly enjoyable in the middle of the day when there are no crowds.  I also try to hit the gym at off-peak times

Meet with co-workers when you can.  I can still go into the office where I used to work.  This is great because I get to hear the water cooler chatter about what's going on.  It helps me keep bigger goals top of mind.  I get to hear about what our director is working on, what our advertising team is doing, etc.  It reminds me that my efforts are working towards a bigger cause than just my own goals.

These days, the view from my "office" looks more like this...
...or this...
Overall, the perks of a virtual environment outweigh the downsides.  It would be difficult to go back into an office environment in which I had to be there at a certain time and stay until a certain time.  Once you find your groove, you're set.  Have you ever worked from home?  If so, what have you done to be successful? 

No comments:

Post a Comment