Monday, February 11, 2013

Playa Del Carmen

My girls' weekend in Mexico started with Mexican Customs taking away my homemade egg salad in Cancun International Airport.  Who knew you couldn't take egg salad across the boarder?  Not this girl.  Once it was gone, I decided to give up trying to diet through the weekend (they also took my apples and bananas!) and headed straight for the nearest margarita and queso stand.  I never found one.  Perhaps it's an untapped niche market?  Fortunately there were plenty of beer vendors outside of the airport while we waited for the ADO bus.  (Insider tip: Purchase your tickets online in advance to ensure a seat.  At $14 USD it's a comfortable, economical way to get from the airport to downtown Playa in less than an hour.)

Our hotel, el Hacienda Real, was conveniently (or inconveniently) located in the heart of Playa.  For less than $90 USD a night it was clean, had comfy beds, and plenty of room for three.  All of the rooms have balconies.  Unfortunately ours faced the street instead of the posh courtyard and we could hear all the action from the bars below (especially the Beer Bucket) until the wee hours of the morning.  That's when I knew I was too old to party.
Playa has changed a lot since I last visited five years ago.  It's still walk-able, quaint, and isn't overrun by enormous all-inclusive hotels like Cancun, but it has a much more touristy feel than it used to.  I didn't feel like I was somewhere off the beaten path.  I was on a path that was kind of like the town bicycle, if you know what I mean...  but a town bicycle that I respect.  Word.
Her beaches are nothing short of ah-MAY-zing.  This was my first exposure to the sun in at least three months.  I broiled quickly and loved every second of it.
Then there were these guys.  Apparently this is a Mayan ritual.  I don't know how the leader dude stays on top with all the signing and spinning.  It made me dizzy... Or was that the margarita(s)?  (It seems that PDC is cool with open containers.  She likes to party.)
If you're bored with the beach and want to spend your dinero, Playa is happy to help.  Whether it's a Mexican wresting mask (which both of my girlfriends purchased), tacky t-shirts (which I purchased), or any other frivolous souvenir, PDC has your back.  Insider tip: Most places will take US dollars, although your change will be given in pesos.  Next time I plan to get my cash from my bank before I leave the states to avoid the ATM fees which are around $6 USD per transaction.
Beyond the sunning, sipping, and shopping, there are some other notable things in Playa.  Like this gorgeous church in the town square.  It's a Catholic church (shout out!) named after Our Lady of Mount Carmel, after whom PDC was named.
When you're there, make sure you see my guy, Senior Platano, or Meester Banana for the gringos.  Seriously, he has the best fruit smoothies in town.  Tell him I sent you.
We didn't lay around on the beach eating chips and guac while pounding margs all weekend, although that sounds like the perfect agenda for next time.  We spent a day diving and snorkeling off Cozumel and another day exploring Tulum.  More on that later.  I'm off to make some egg salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment