Sunday, May 5, 2013

Weekend Wrap Up

Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, right?  Mine was full of chores and a quick stop by a friend's Cinco de Mayo party.  I am done!  Allow me to give you a little glimpse of what wore me over the past few days.  I started gearing up on Friday by juicing before work and hitting the gym/watching Real Housewives reruns after work.
This was followed by a friend's lovely birthday dinner at a local pizza place, then it was early to bed to prepare for Saturday's shenanigans....
...where this happened.  This was the third annual "mustache ride" thrown by my boyfriend and his friends.  The first two years they rented the trolley in Dallas' Uptown neighborhood, which is a very unique venue for an event.  This year it was already booked for the weekend so I suggested taking the Trinity Railway Express train to Fort Worth for a little fun in Cow Town, and so the agenda and theme for the 2013 Mustache Ride were determined.  Funky Town didn't know what hit it when this crew rolled up, cardboard Burt Reynolds (close enough) and inflatable steed in tow.  What historically lasts through late night ended early, since we've all finally learned to embrace our late twenties.  We can admit that we prefer a decent night's sleep over after-hours clubs.  (I also learned from previous years that drawing a mustache on my face with a Sharpie is a bad idea, so I opted for a stache ring instead.  Another sign of my blossoming maturity...)
I was happy to wake up today feeling well rested, because I've been looking forward to attending my first urban chicken coop tour!  Chickens are so hot right now.  Fortunately for my bf, my brother was in town (he never misses a Mustache Ride) and he agreed (I'm not sure why) to go with me on the tour.  It started at a local elementary school where each grade shares a responsibility in their community garden and chicken coop.  
Seeing this today inspired me to start a garden of my own.  The bf and I are already managing a successful composting bin.  No big deal.  If kids can handle chickens and a garden, don't I have a shot at growing some herbs?  When I got home I started pulling weeds out of an unused flower bed. That's as far as I got.  Back to the tour... Below are some shots from a few of the homes.  Some of the stops were pretty crowded so I didn't get to captures all of the highlights, like the shabby chic coop with a chandelier.  For a few moments I thought I was in Austin, but the chandelier brought me back to Dallas (and reminded me why I love this place).
I have to give a shout-out to my Grandma C in Jones, Oklahoma.  She has been way ahead of the curve with the free range backyard chickens trend.  Here's a peak at her gorgeous flock.
That's what I call a nice looking cock.

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment