Friday, May 24, 2013

Vacation Wardrobe Styling


I used to be a notorious under-packer, which is strange for a chick.  My motto was, “There’s nothing I’ll forget that I can’t buy at my destination, besides contact lenses and medication!” And strangely, it rhymes.  Maybe it was a subconscious strategy to create and excuse to go shopping.  Now I'm trying to be more organized.  I’m heading to Austin tomorrow for a girls getaway with some extremely chic ladies so I have to bring my A-game in terms of wardrobe.  I read that celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe starts planning what she or her clients are going to wear to an event days if not weeks in advance so she can perfect the look.  I’ve recently tried to adopt this approach, especially when it comes to packing. 


During my short stint in art school I scored a coveted position as an intern with Jan Strimple.  She’s famous in Dallas for producing high end fashion shows events.  One of my duties was helping her prep for runway shows.  She’s impeccably organized and would spend hours before an event styling each outfit or costume.  Once a look was finalized she'd hang it on a rolling rack.  She used Ziplock bags to store the outfit's accessories (jewelry, hose, hair bows, etc...).  She'd poke a hole in the top of the bag with the tip of the wire hanger and then hang the bag from said hanger.  If needed, she would write notes for the out fit with a Sharpie on the front of the bag.  Now I don't go this far but I like the concept of planning which accessories you'll want to wear with each outfit and hanging necklaces/bracelets/rings on the outfit's hangar.  I shaven't figured out what to do with earrings but I'm not stressing.
I kept the rolling rack that formerly stored my wardrobe in my boyfriend's garage when I was nomadic and boy, has it come in handy!  It's perfect for planning what to pack as I channel my inner Rachel Zoe and style my looks for the upcoming weekend.  Does that sound as cheezy and pathetic as I think it does?  I don't care because it works!  Try it!
Like my zebra rug?  Learn how to make one here!  How do you prepare your vaca wardrobe?





No comments:

Post a Comment