Friday, November 1, 2013

Surviving Halloween

Happy Dios De Los Muertos!  As I type this, I'm sitting in my kitchen having just scarfed down two breakfast tacos from Taco Joint and am making my way through my second cup of coffee.  I was a zombie yesterday.  And I'm a zombie this morning (which I guess is appropriate for DDLM).  But with no less makeup on my face/neck/arms/legs.  I'm still rocking dark circles under my eyes.  Oh Halloween, you're a harsh mistress. 

If you're strapped for cash and don't want to spend $40 on a Halloween costume, the zombie look is for you.  Just run over some old clothes with your car and slap some cheap white/black/gray makeup on your face and you're ready to go!

Yesterday started innocently enough: at work.  Buuuut there just happened to be a Bloody Mary and mimosa bar in an empty cubicle.  And Jell-O shots.  Lots of Jell-O shots.  I was proud of myself: I only had a Solo cup of champagne (filled up about a quarter of the way) and one Jell-O shot.  I should explain... The company I work for is big on celebrations and Halloween is the biggest.  Which is pretty awesome, albeit exhausting. 

I decided to sneak out of the Hallowork party early (noon) and be somewhat productive.  I got my oil changed (as a zombie) and went to Home Depot (as a zombie).  One guy at the auto shop said: "I started to feel sorry for you [in reference to my torn and dirty clothes] but then I realized it's Halloween!"  Thanks dude.  Next I went home to recharge.  I had some green tea, and apple, and a pumpkin Paleo cookie I baked the other night (recipe coming soon!).  Ahhhhh..... Being a responsible adult feels good sometimes.

Then my co-worker Laura came over and we decided to go out (at 3pm) to meet some other co-workers.  Because she's also a responsible adult, we called Uber for a ride to the bar.  I have to take a minute to elaborate on the greatness of Uber.  First of all, it's crazy how accepted drinking and driving is around these parts.  It's horrifying, actually.  Is that a Southern/Texas thing??  I've always been a huge taxi proponent, and I still am.  But now there's Uber and it's so. much. better.  Let me count the ways...
  • They have an awesome app.  To request a ride, I just open the app and it already knows where I am.  Creepy? Yes. Convenient?  Yes.  I get a text when the driver is on his/her way and I can track his/her progress on the app to know how far away he/she is at any given time.
  • Paying is easy!  When you download the app, you set up a user profile and enter your credit card info.  A 20% tip is already included in the fare.  In my experience, my Uber rides have been cheaper than a taxi.  Plus, when you arrive at your destination you're ready to go and don't  have to worry about digging cash out of your purse/wallet or calculating a tip!
  • The cars that I've been picked up in are nicer than taxis.  Some taxis are nice, but most reek of cigarettes and Indian food.  Uber drivers use their own cars, and they have incentive to keep them clean because...
  • You rate your driver and your driver rates you!  If the driver/the car sucks, you can provide that feedback to Uber.  And the driver can rate customers who are terrible.
    • Side-sidenote: I foresee the model for rating customers as a forthcoming trend, which I LOVE!  Too many people are self-centered inconsiderate jerks, and they should be held accountable.  My favorite reservations-only bar in Dallas recently publically shamed people who no-showed on their reservations.  Awesome.
  • Using Uber in Dallas means you're taking a stand against crony capitalism!
  • Selfies look better in Uber.  See below.

Ok, off my soap box and back to Halloween...  We did a little party hopping at a couple dive bars, and ended the festivities at our friends' house with my favorite type of bar: a build-your-own taco bar!  My friends live in a cute, centrally located neighborhood and had shockingly low number of trick-or-treaters (maybe five).  My bf came home late from work and had ONE show up at our house!  Perhaps there were more that came by before he got home.  I know there are at least two kids on our street, because they live in the house next door to us.  When I was a kid we always took candy from strangers, but I think the trend these days is to trunk-or-treat in a parking lot.  (Booooring!)  Or maybe all the kids just go to the rich neighborhoods.  (Fun fact: Did you know there is not a single documented case of a kid receiving poisoned Halloween candy?)

After a Halloween party with our friends on Saturday night (see below), followed by yesterday's events, I'm ready to put my costumes and fake blood away until next year.  Time for my third cup of coffee, then to bring out the Christmas decorations! 
Another crazy cheap costume!  Flapper dress: $9 from H&M on sale.  Headband: $2 from Target plus a sparkly thing I ripped off an old top.  Good thing Gatsby came out earlier this year to make this look relevant!


No comments:

Post a Comment