Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Take Me to Tulum

I saved you the best part of my Mexication for last.  On the last full day of our trip we rented a car and drove to Tulum.  The last time I was in Mexico, I drove through Tulum on a rainy day.  This visit was much more pleasant and sunny.  Plus, we had a sweet ride- the most compact Chevy I've ever seen.  The car weighed less than I do so we got great mileage in it!

Our first stop was Tulum's Mayan ruins, which are the only ruins in Mexico located on the coast.  It was packed with visitors.  Even the iguanas were out.  I mentioned in my last post that I'm not fond of live fish.  Lizards are a different story.  As a kid I had some anoles for pets because my parents wouldn't let me get a dog.  I have no idea why lizards were my back-up pet of choice.  I never even considered a cat.  I might have missed out on turning into a crazy cat lady someday.
Our next stop was the place I'd been craving- the beach town of Tulum.  Like Playa, it's grown a lot since I last visited five years ago.  It's still gorgeous and has a rich-hippie-eco-chic vibe.  Pictures do better justice than my ramblings ever could so please enjoy!

I've already planned my dream vacation there.  Of course my boyfriend is coming with me.  We'll fly into CUN and take a bus to Tulum.  No need for a car- we can walk or rent bicycles to get around.  We'll stay in a little cabana with hammocks.  I'll take yoga classes on the beach every morning.  We'll buy local fruit for breakfast. We'll hang with the hippies and the yuppies.  I'll get a golden tan (without the risk of skin cancer- this is my fantasy so I can do that!).  We'll go on a tour of Sian Kaan.  I just might tear up my return plane ticket and stay forever in a little beach shack with my man and our clan of pet lizards.  I wouldn't mind this view every day.
I'll send you a post card! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment