Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Barcelona, Spain

On my first night in Johannesburg, I had dinner with my boyfriend and his co-worker, who lives in the US but travels to a different country almost weekly.  We were enthralled by his stories of world travel, and curiously we asked him what was his all-time favorite place.  With no hesitation he answered, "Barcelona."  Spain.  Boom.  I could not agree more.  Although my view of the world is comparitavely limited, it's my favorite as well, and since this conversation I've been reminiscing about my trip there in 2006.



The photo above is the best way to describe my visit.  Pure joy.  I love Barca for the culture, food, people, location (beaches!), architecture, history...





There are so many beautiful and inspiring things to see.  Park Guell was my favorite, a failed early-1900s attempt at a Dr.-Seuss-like housing development with sweeping views of the city, designed by the infamous architect Antoni Gaudi.

Another note-worthy monument designed by Gaudi- the Sagrada Familia.  Construction on this Roman Catholic church began in the early 1880s and is yet to be completed, although the target date is now 2026, the centennial of Gaudi's passing.





I can't mention Barelona and leave out the food.  Tapas, sangria, paella, seafood, and cordials for dessert, all while dining al fresco.  It's the perfect place to indulge.

Hasta luego, Barcelona!  Until we meet again!

1 comment: