Sunday, April 22, 2012

Bluebonnet Trails

"The bluebonnet is to Texas what the shamrock is to Ireland, the cherry blossom to Japan, the lily to France, the rose to England and the tulip to Holland." -Jack Maguire, historian

Bluebonnets are the Stetson hats of the flower world.  They are distinctly Texan.  The arrival of bluebonnets announces the coming of spring here, which came a little early this year.  Fine by me!



Yesterday I dragged my bf to the Ennis Bluebonnet Trails Festival.   It's a short drive (about 45 miles) outside of Dallas.  Ennis has been deemed the "Official Bluebonnet City of Texas" and boasts over 40 miles of mapped bluebonnet trails surrounding the city.  These trails are the oldest in the state and attract tens of thousands of visitors each year.





It was a beautiful day, and we enjoyed spending a little time out of the city.  Like the other tourists, we pulled over on the side of the road on the Bluebonnet Trails several times to take pictures.  Alas, they are an unjust representation of the full sensory experience.  Looking around, you feel engulfed in a sea of blue.  The sweet smell of bluebonnets infiltrates the wind.  I imagined myself in the lavender fields of Provence rather than in Central Texas.  That sounds nice, doesn't it?



We were told by locals that we missed the peak of the bluebonnets.  I can only imagine what the "peak" was like!  I'll be back next year to check it out, albeit with a girlfriend or two.  My bf has done his time. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment