Monday, March 28, 2011

A Visit Home

"There's no place like home..."  Dorothy said it best.  No matter how old I get, I still feel like a kid when I visit my childhood home in Oklahoma City.  My parents' house is uber-cozy and relaxing and my mom goes above and beyond to make her kids feel welcome.  We even get turn-down service before bed, complete with a chocolate mint on our pillows!

On Friday night I took a quick flight to OKC to my parents' place.  They've done a great job updating their home over the past few years, most recently redecorating their living room.  I love what my mom did in my bedroom- there are nods to old memories (framed photos, yearbooks on the shelves, my favorite stuffed animal) but the decor is much more chic today than when I was in charge of decorating!  Here's a what it looked like from sixth grade until about four years ago...




I think I was in eighth grade in this picture.  Notice the gaudy wall paper and coordinating carpet.  Don't you love the fake quilt with the marble effect?  If you look closely at the heart-shaped bedside table, you'll see a scrunchy next to a cassette!  My Pound Puppy and Beanie Baby collection is proudly displayed on my window sill between random stickers of a happy face and a hand with a peace sign.  Oh, the nineties!



Aaaaaahhhh, that's better. Neutral cream, soft lighting, and a real quilt.  This room is still my little sanctuary, although the twin bed is smaller than I remember it!  No matter how stressed out I am about work, life, etc, a visit home usually does the trick!  Thanks Mom and Dad!  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment